Whilst closing my windows against the incessant wind and dust today, I spotted something in my garden outside. I had to take a good second look as what I thought I saw should surely have been a log. But, on the second good look I saw a small dragons head, then I made out a long body and realized I was seeing a Legavaan! I went outside to have a closer look and after freezing for a moment the Legavaan made a dash for a large woodpile. I was surprised at how fast it moved.
I went back into the room and waited, and luckily it came out again, crossed the path and went back to eating some leaves under a bush, and I managed to get some photos. I looked it up on the internet and realized it must still be a baby since it was only about 50cm long and they grow to more than a meter. It’s also called a Monitor Lizard.
What a pleasure to see quite a large wild animal in my garden, in the middle of Smithfield!
Where are we?
- There are still Legavaans in Smithfield November 27, 2015
- Bridge in Smithfield! September 23, 2015
- Home made bread, to die for! April 28, 2015
- Stay for Dinner! Organic Veg from my garden. March 24, 2015
- The Question of Light: Tilda Swinton’s speech at the Rothko Chapel March 2, 2015